LAND TRANSFER FOR CATA: AN UPDATE
We have been very slow to report some very important news – our apologies for this… in mid-August, some 16 years after the signing of the Cata land restitution settlement agreement, title to the land was transferred to the Communal Property Association. The state had dragged its feet in this regard; its ambivalence with respect to CPAs, and its bolstering of the role traditional leadership at the expense of democratically-elected structures, apparently the reason. The transfer has consequence beyond Cata, and the Keiskammahoek District… it is a victory for democracy and for the right of ordinary citizens to hold title to communal land. BRC celebrates with the people of Cata, and hopes that the transfer adds impetus to the struggles waged by other CPAs, for recognition, for state support and for the transfer of land to their Associations.
- IKHWELO MALUNGA NENTSHOLONGWANE ICOVID 19 (OKANYE ICORONA) April 11, 2020
- WE HAVE OFFICIALLY LAUNCHED OUR NEW WEBSITE! December 30, 2019
- GOVERNMENT COMMITMENT AND POLITICAL WILLINGNESS TO ADDRESS LAND REFORM IN SOUTH AFRICA July 19, 2018
- RESPONSE TO THE DEATH OF A KEISKAMMAHOEK ACTIVIST AT THE HANDS OF THE POLICE. March 20, 2018
- KEISKAMMAHOEK VILLAGERS MARCH ON THE OFFICES OF AMATHOLE DISTRICT MUNICIPALITY April 11, 2017